Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 6th. - The boys from Syracuse!

Met these guys on route. At Silver lake when we caught up with them again we were all terribly frozen. I passed out hand warmers to all and we trekked on for 5 mi to Kirkwood. Mike and I hooked up with the kids who had rode into the ski resort off the main road. The lodge was open and a general store! Mike spoke with a property manager about camping in the back. Of course being so cold all day and knowing all our stuff was wet, I asked if any rooms were available! Yes and $50.! I asked if there were any big enough for the 3 boys and us to share and sure enough, it slept 8! So we loaded up on chicken soup supplies and frozen pizza for an appetizer. Coop, manager of store and all retail at the mountain was a huge help! Great mountain store with lots of organic too. Great digs for the night and we enjoyed sharing stories and hearing the banter of the young kids and their intense enthusiasm about all things! Very refreshing in this day and age to see kids enjoying the simple things that are so special about life. They loved the smell of the mountain air in the morning- beautiful thing! I drank coffee when we first arrived - big mistake...up a lot but I got to see a full moon come over the snow covered ski slopes that were right outside our 6 story window. Made me want to ski! We all had our coffees and said our goodbyes in the morning and figured we would catch up later at the next stop. Nice resort and really enjoyed seeing west coast chalet architecture on our way out

1 comment:

  1. Hi all,
    I am Scott and Andy's mom, and I so enjoyed reading about my boys, and their friend, Pete. Glad to hear that you were all able to have a warm and dry night, after all that rain and cold! Thank you so much for being a mother to my boys, and feeding them a good dinner - I appreciate it so much, and I know they did, too!
    I wish you sunny weather and tailwinds as you make your way across the country. I'll continue to keep up with your blog, and perhaps you'll cross paths with the boys again,
    Best wishes and good luck with your endeavor!
    Kathy Hobson

    ReplyDelete

Where in the U.S. are the O'Donnells?


View Where is Rebecca? in a larger map